Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Vintage Wall Art: Think Outside the Box

We all know that art is very subjective.  What you consider to be art might look like something my dog scribbled with a crayon to me.  I am quite often puzzled, when I visit modern art museums, at what actually qualifies as "art".   When decorating the walls of our homes we can also be creative and experimental.  After all, we are the ones who have to live with it.  A few years ago, while rummaging through a pile of vintage linens in a second hand store, I came across an old feed sack.  It appealed to me right away.  Its simplicity.  The texture of the heavy cotton fabric and the geometric pattern and colors.  I had an epiphany, of sorts.  In my mind I could see this homely feed sack, from days of yore, matted and framed in a large black wooden frame and hanging in my kitchen.  So, I went home and ironed the sack and set it aside.  The next day I went to Michael's Craft store and found a large black (kind of modern looking) frame.  Back home I went through an old chest and found some light colored burlap fabric and made a background for mounting the feed sack.  I then pinned the feed sack in place on the burlap covered cardboard and placed it in the black frame.  Voila!  Very cheap folk art for my kitchen.  This is one of my favorite pieces.  Country with a modern twist.  Framing old letters, postcards, pieces of vintage fabric or old quilt blocks or ads out of old magazines, all of this can make unique, interesting and affordable wall decor.  Don't be afraid to think outside the box.  It's your home.  Experiment!

No comments: